We want to both give existing volunteers more support and opportunities and to recruit new volunteers in this exciting brand-new role. Part of what we have done successfully in the past is to use volunteering to help people to make changes in their lives, whether that is gaining new skills, making friends, becoming more confident or contributing to their job-readiness.
This is a new role and will very much be what you make it. It is expected to include communicating and working with people over the telephone, supporting people to access activities and providing 1:1 telephone support for people to help them to engage with wellbeing activities. If you’re a friendly person who likes talking to people, then this is the role for you.
What does a Volunteer Befriender do?
- Telephones client for around 10-30 minutes and arranges dates and times for future calls directly with them. This can be from once a day to once a month, but individual needs will be matched with your availability.
- To provide support over the telephone and help improve confidence and self-esteem. Help client engage in health and wellbeing activities, making them feel better about themselves.
- To signpost people to appropriate services for further support and act as a reliable source of information should it be required by them.
- To provide updates to the Volunteer Coordinator & Telephone Support Team on a regular basis. This will allow the department to offer more support or guidance if required.
- To report back any issues or concerns that need dealing with by the Telephone Befriending Support Team and Volunteer Coordinators.
- It is important to note telephone befriending is not counselling or therapy and other services must be sought if this is required. Our Volunteers are not trained counsellors or therapists.
Geographical areas/service it applies to
Volunteers can be nationwide as this is volunteering on the telephone. The service applies to Bradford and District.
For more information about Together Talks, visit: befriender.bdtbs.co.uk or telephone 01274 952200