Support for vulnerable people
Who is eligible for support?
Our volunteers continue to provide support to people who meet any of the following criteria:
- Who have ever been advised to shield by a health professional.
- Who are vulnerable for another reason, (for instance, due to disability, pregnancy, aged over 70, you have a long-term condition such as Parkinson's or epilepsy, or are vulnerable due to a mental health condition).
- Who have caring responsibilities.
- Who are self-isolating because they have been diagnosed with coronavirus (COVID-19) or have symptoms, or they have been in contact with someone who has.
- Who have been instructed to self-isolate by the Test and Trace service, because they have been near someone infected.
- Who are self-isolating ahead of planned hospital care.
- Who have been instructed to self-isolate following entry into the country.
The programme is also open to frontline health and care staff.
How NHS Volunteer Responders can help
NHS Volunteer Responders offer simple but vital support while following guidance on helping people safely.
- Community Response Volunteer: Collect and deliver shopping, medication or other essential supplies for patients.
- Community Response Plus Volunteer: Collect and deliver shopping, medication or other essential supplies for patients with cognitive impairments and/or significant vulnerabilities.
- Patient Transport Volunteer: Provide transport to patients who are medically fit to attend routine medical appointments.
- NHS Transport Volunteer: transport equipment, supplies and/or medication between NHS services and sites. This may also involve assisting pharmacies with medication delivery. The role can also help Local Resilience Networks with transportation and delivery of items such as food parcels.
- Check In and Chat Volunteer: Provide a telephone support for anyone who’s at risk of loneliness.
- Check In and Chat Plus Volunteer: Provide regular telephone support to the same individual for a duration of 10 weeks, with typically 3 calls taking place each week.
- Steward Volunteer (COVID-19 vaccinations): Provide stewarding at COVID-19 vaccination sites, stewarding at flu vaccination sites and supporting the NHS with non-clinical tasks such as signposting or check-in support.