I’d like support
How do I get volunteer support?
Find out if you’re eligible for support from the NHS Volunteer Responders programme and how to get in touch.
If you, or someone you know, would like to register for support from the volunteers please call 0808 196 3646 (8am to 8pm, 7 days a week).
Alternatively, please consider the following options if you have hearing loss:
- Our Support Team is set up to accept and utilise the Relay UK service
- BSL Health Access, which can connect a British Sign Language (BSL) user with the programme.
If you’re already getting support from our team of NHS Volunteer Responders, then find out more about what happens next on our I’m getting support page.
Who’s eligible to receive supporting services from NHS Volunteer Responders?
You’re eligible for support if:
- You have ever been advised to shield by a health professional.
- You are vulnerable for another reason, (for instance, due to disability, pregnancy, aged over 70, you have a long-term condition such as Parkinson's or epilepsy, or are vulnerable due to a mental health condition).
- You have caring responsibilities.
- You are self-isolating because you have been diagnosed with COVID-19 or have symptoms, or you’ve been in contact with someone who has.
- You have been instructed to self-isolate by the Test and Trace service, because you’ve been near someone infected.
- You are self-isolating ahead of planned hospital care.
- You have been instructed to self-isolate following entry into the country.
The programme’s support services are also open to frontline health and care staff.
Following feedback from people who are using the service, we’ve created some frequently asked questions.
This is updated regularly to ensure the information is accurate, so please check them often, to ensure you have the latest guidance.
If you need any information that’s not provided, please ring our Support Team on 0808 196 3646 (8am to 8pm, 7 days a week).
What kind of help is available?
Our volunteers can help you with various day-to-day tasks that might have become more difficult during the pandemic. Our volunteer services include:
What happens after I register for support?
Help with grocery shopping and other essentials
Once you’ve requested help, your volunteer will contact you by phone. You’ll be able to talk through your shopping list and arrange how you’ll pay. There are a number of payment options open to you.
Help with prescription collections
If you’re self-isolating or avoiding busier places, you can arrange for your prescriptions to be picked up by our volunteers from your pharmacy of choice. Volunteers have been provided full guidance on transporting medicines.
Check In and Chat phone calls
Self-isolating or limiting contact with others can be tough going, so it’s important to talk regularly to other people while you’re at home. Our volunteers are always on hand for a friendly chat and we’d be delighted to book you in for a call.
You can schedule a one-off call or a regular check in.
Please note: the volunteer will be a different person each time.
I’m a carer, can I make a referral on someone’s behalf?
Yes. You can make a referral for someone that you care for.
You can also arrange volunteer support for yourself if it will help you to continue in your caring role. Please call us on 0808 196 3646 (8am to 8pm, 7 days a week) to arrange support.