Check In and Chat Volunteers
As a Check In and Chat Volunteer, you’ll be providing simple yet vital phone support to individuals who may be at heightened risk of loneliness. It’s a role of particular importance at this time, while many people remain cautious about COVID-19 and stay at home.
Register to volunteer at GoodSAM app
What does a Check In and Chat Volunteer do?
It can be tough going for those who need to self-isolate or limit contact with others, during these times. When isolating, it can sometimes have an impact on confidence, self-esteem and loneliness.
Providing a way for individuals to talk to someone else is therefore very important, while they remain at home.
By calling and chatting, you’ll be providing:
- Companionship to those who may be isolated from contact with others
- Support and information on resources that may be of help to them
- A way of checking on their well-being and to ensure they’re happy.
- A listening ear for those who want to open up and share their experiences and feelings
If you’re self-isolating, but still want to volunteer your time and offer support over the phone, then you may be interested in our Check In and Chat Plus Volunteer service.
Who might request the Check In and Chat Volunteer service?
Calls may be requested on a one-off basis, or perhaps as a regular check in, from people who:
- Have ever been advised to shield by a health professional.
- Are vulnerable for another reason, (for instance, due to disability, pregnancy, aged over 70, has a long-term condition such as Parkinson's or epilepsy, or are vulnerable due to a mental health condition).
- Is someone with caring responsibilities.
- Is self-isolating because they’ve been diagnosed with COVID-19 or have symptoms, or they’ve been in contact with someone who has.
- Has been instructed to self-isolate by the ‘Test and Trace’ service, because they’ve been near someone infected.
- Is self-isolating ahead of planned hospital care.
- Has been instructed to self-isolate following entry into the country.
The programme is also open to frontline health and care staff.
Full guidance for getting you started
You can find full and comprehensive advice for the Check In and Chat Volunteer in our Getting You Started Guide.
This will help you understand how to protect yourself and others as a volunteer and understand more about the following topics:
- Safely taking and making payments
- Using the GoodSAM app
- Data protection & confidentiality
- Keeping yourself safe
- Reporting accidents and incidents
- Driving and transport