Check In and Chat Plus Volunteers
This service is identical to that offered by our other Check In and Chat Volunteers. However, our Check In and Chat Plus Volunteer service is provided by NHS Volunteer Responders who are also isolating themselves.
Register to volunteer at GoodSAM app
What do Check In and Chat Plus Volunteers do?
In your role you’ll be contacting individuals that are isolating or unable to leave the house, and having a chat over the phone. You’ll be offering a friendly voice and a listening ear to those who may have any loneliness in the current situation.
By calling, you can help to provide:
- Companionship and understanding from someone going through a similar experience
- Support and to point people towards resources that may help them
- A listening ear for those who want to open up and talk about their situation
Your own understanding of the challenges faced by shielding, self-isolating or limiting contact with others can be a source of support to those who may be at risk of loneliness.
Who is eligible for the Check In and Chat Plus Volunteer service?
A one-off or regular call from a volunteer who is similarly shielding may be required by those individuals who:
- Has ever been advised to shield by a health professional.
- Is vulnerable for another reason, (for instance, due to disability, pregnancy, aged over 70, has a long-term condition such as Parkinson's or epilepsy, or are vulnerable due to a mental health condition).
- Is someone with caring responsibilities.
- Is self-isolating because they’ve been diagnosed with COVID-19 or have symptoms, or they’ve been in contact with someone who has.
- Has been instructed to self-isolate by the ‘Test and Trace’ service, because they’ve been near someone infected.
- Is self-isolating ahead of planned hospital care.
- Has been instructed to self-isolate following entry into the country.
The programme is also open to frontline health and care staff.
Full guidance for getting you started
We have collated together a Getting You Started Guide to help get you started as a Check In and Chat Plus Volunteer. Please read this to understand how best to protect yourself and others as a volunteer and understand more about the following topics:
- Safely taking and making payments
- Using the GoodSAM app
- Data protection & confidentiality
- Keeping yourself safe
- Reporting accidents and incidents
- Driving and transport