Patient Transport Volunteers
As a Patient Transport Volunteer, you’ll be providing vital transport to patients who are medically fit to attend routine medical appointments. This includes taking patients from their home to local medical appointments, whether it be at their local GP surgery or the local hospital.
Register to volunteer at GoodSAM app
What does a Patient Transport Volunteer do?
You’ll be giving invaluable support for those who might otherwise be unable to get to and from important medical appointments.
As a volunteer for patient transport, you will only be expected to come into contact with:
- Patients who are free from any symptoms of COVID-19.
- Patients who are able to move around unaided
Inter-hospital transport and support
Depending on who your local hospital is, you may also be asked to help out with patient transport. It’s a varied role, which can include:
- Transporting patients around the hospital taking them to different wards.
- Ensuring patients are comfortable when being transported by wheelchair
- Offering company to patients who are waiting to be discharged
Full guidance for getting you started
Find out everything you need to know getting started as a Patient Transport Volunteer by reading through the getting started document.
As well as advice on health, safety and security, the guide also provides thorough details on:
- Safely taking and making payments
- Using the GoodSAM app
- Data protection & confidentiality
- Keeping yourself safe
- Reporting accidents and incidents
- Driving and transport